Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Avoid vending machines and avoid keeping change in your pocket

If you're like me, I tend to spend money that is clinking around in my pocket. (Not anymore of course)

It reminds me of a big lifestyle change that I made about 5 years ago. I stopped using vending machines and hospital cafeterias. If you pour your money into vending machines, buying lunches, etc, it can be a huge cost. A lunch can cost around $5/day --> 25/week --> $1300/year (give or take a bit). If you multiply that by a coffee, newspaper, etc, then you are looking at around $10/day - around $2.5K/year.

Think of what you could do with another $2500/year - after taxes (if you are in the 50% income tax bracket, you probably had to earn 50% more to be able to spend $2500, given a tax rate of 50%)

No comments: