Wednesday, August 26, 2009

It never hurts to keep the boxes and it never hurts to ask.

I'm a huge packrat when it comes to boxes that things come in. I ended up buying a server case many months back for a home-built network attached storage device, and for the life of me couldn't figure out why I was getting random errors, particularly under high I/O.

I finally looked, and saw some exposed wiring in the case due to the backplane design... but unfortunately had purchased the case four months ago.

I ended up writing the company, who I will name, since they have AWESOME customer service (www.newegg.ca), and asked them about this. They told me to ship the case back. I told them the case design was poor and caused interference for my SATA drives under high I/O stress. I was very nice on the phone and had them pay for my shipping back (which would have costed around 50-60CDN). Instead of replacement, they opted for a refund.

I'm glad I kept the boxes and I'm glad I asked the questions. Otherwise, it would have been a very expensive paperweight.

No comments: