Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A stitch in time saves nine.

While making the driveway and walk safer for the guests we were having, I was reminded of this phrase: "A stitch in time saves nine". Why?

Well, I was chipping away at the ice today in preparation for tonight's guests... but you have to realise that the snow fell two days ago. Moreover, I had also used copious amounts of rock salt as well to try to melt the ice as well as increase traction.

What if I had shovelled the snow a day or two earlier when it was still snow and not ice? It would have taken me less time and less rock salt, and definitely less effort.

So, that's my frugal lesson for today. Shovel snow when it's still snow and not when it's ice. You save time, money, and you don't need to worry about people slipping.

No comments: